Sustainability is often used in the context of nature and the resources on which we're dependent. At the heart of Sustainability is a commitment beyond 'going green'; it's about ensuring the environment in which we live (ecology, economy and social) remains viable and prosperous for our children and future generations. Sustainability is conservation of natural resources; it's fostering compassion for those less fortunate than us; it's stewardship of your trust. Above all, it's the right thing to do.
Highlights of GGP’s 2016 Sustainability Report are as follows:
- For the second consecutive year, GGP was recognized with the highest possible real estate sustainability honor – a prestigious Green Star – by the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB).
- Reduced overall carbon footprint by 23,200 metric tons of carbon dioxide, the equivalent of removing nearly 5,000 cars from roads in the U.S.
- Through the utilization of smart irrigation technology, reduced water consumption at GGP properties by more than 64 million gallons – the equivalent of nearly 100 Olympic-sized swimming pools
- Diverted over 54,300 tons of waste, which could otherwise have filled more than 4,500 garbage trucks and ended up in landfills
- Reduced electricity consumption by approximately 215 million kilowatt hours, enough to power all of the homes in Coral Gables, Florida for one year
- Updated 500 inefficient rooftop common-area heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems with high-efficiency units, leading to anticipated energy savings of approximately 44.5 million kilowatt hours per year
- Solar generation projects that are currently underway will rank GGP among the top 10 U.S. companies by solar capacity, according to 2015 Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) rankings
Thank you for taking time to review our 2016 Sustainability Report. We are excited about our progress surrounding key strategies and look forward to sharing our future accomplishments with you.