Sustainability at GGP
We at GGP have made a huge commitment to reduce our impact on the planet and to treat every day like Earth Day.
So far, we have:
- Conserved 267.9 million kilowatts of electricity – enough energy to power all the homes in Napa, CA
- Saved enough water to fill almost 100 Olympic-size swimming pools
- Composted enough food waste to fill over 6,200 garbage trucks
- Diverted enough waste from landfills to fill over 6,200 garbage trucks
- Reduced our carbon footprint enough to be the equivalent of removing approximately 19,800 cars off U.S. roads
Find out below what we’re doing at our properties today to help make our world a little greener.
Sustainability Initiatives at 200 Lafayette
New York, NY
The preservation and reuse of the building formerly known as The Knickerbocker Telephone Company Building is sustainable stewardship of our environmental resources. Existing buildings represent an incredibly high embodied energy, meaning the energy and resources expended to build them, as well as what would be required to replace them. The preservation and adaptive reuse of this historic structure is an example of the most beneficial sustainable practice in building construction...
Sustainability Initiatives at 685 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY
The retail conversion project at 685 Fifth Avenue was a strategic reuse of an existing building to improve the leasable retail space by creating vertical retail with greater floor heights. The building was originally built in 1931 with additions and modifications undertaken in 1994. For this project, four existing floors were converted to three retail floors with taller floor-to-floor dimensions...
Sustainability Initiatives at Westroads Mall
When Flagship Commons, the first food hall in Omaha opened at Westroads Mall, the former traditional food court was a prime candidate for adaptive reuse. Rather than demolish the existing structure, GGP transformed the former food court into a single-occupant space for The Container Store...